Small businesses owners can benefit from uploading podcasts onto your website. There are a ton of programs that you can use to create an audio recording. Audacity is a “free, easy-to-use and multilingual audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.”
“Audacity is free, open source software (available to anyone). It was developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).” This is free software and you’ll have the freedom to use Audacity and to study how it works, especially if you’re new to creating podcasts.
If you use a MAC platform in your small business, you can still use Audacity. All you do is download the software and you’ll be able to create podcasts which can help drive web traffic.
Podcasts can help drive traffic to your website! If your small business is in the pet grooming business, you could create a daily, weekly, or monthly for your visitors. Give them FREE tips how they can keep their dog or cat’s fur nice and shiny. Tell them what shampoo to use if their cat or dog has allergies. The more information you can provide the better. Your business will be known as an AUTHORITY on pet grooming on the internet. Visitors will remember your website and tell others about it.
According to Audacity’s website, you can use the software to do the following:
- Record live audio.
- Convert tapes and records into digital recordings or CDs.
- Edit Ogg Vorbis, MP3, WAV or AIFF sound files.
- Cut, copy, splice or mix sounds together.
- Change the speed or pitch of a recording.
- And more! See the complete list of features.
Adding introduction and ending music is not necessary for podcasting but it does give it that EXTRA SPECIAL something. Make sure the music you use IS NOT commercial or mainstream music. Meaning, don’t use music from your favorite recording artist. You can get into a lot of trouble by doing this. Find Royalty Free Music to incorporate into your audio recordings.
Loopsound is a company from the U.K. that offers Royalty Free Music. You can purchase music and use it over and over again. Take the music that you purchase and “mix it” to create unique pieces to use in your podcast. Make sure you keep the introduction and ending to a maximum of 20 seconds. Anything more than this can be too much.
- Write out a script. If you feel that you may stumble through your podcast, write out a script. Make sure you HIT the points you’d like to make. Once you record a few podcasts, you may not have to use a script.
- Familiarize yourself with the program. Before you begin using Audacity get to know it. Go through the Help section and read up on the different aspects of Audacity.
- Keep podcasts to a minimum of 20-30 minutes. Actually, the shorter the better. Many people will not listen to a lengthy podcast. They may lose focus and start surfing the net or walk away. You may consider “breaking up” your podcasts if they are longer.
Podcasting can set your business apart from another business. Whatever you can do to BOOST web traffic to your website, just do it! Remember that the way people find and receive their information is ever evolving. Make sure you’re part of the process and not left behind in the dust!
Savvy Writer Rebecca
What podcasts have you created? What software did you use?