Freelance writing can be a great career for anyone who loves a challenge and organization. Clients and editors keep you on your toes which will test your flexibility and resiliency. You get to interview various people; great way to network and make new business connections which could lead to more writing assignments or new business opportunities. Freelance writing has its ups and down — challenges and joys rolled into one.
Challenges of freelance writing
● Deadlines increase by a few days or one week.
● Changes in the scope of work.
● Connecting with interviewees is a challenge due to time zones and work schedules.
● Finding the best photos (when needed) to accompany a blog post or article.
● Collecting payment from clients. This is why contracts are important.
● Freelance writers are responsible for marketing and PR, accounting, answering calls and emails, etc. It’s your business!
Joys of freelance writing
● Variety of clients and assignments.
● No overhead.
● Work from home; the commute is very short.
● Freelance writing is good for stay-at-home moms; home for the kids.
● Create your own work schedule.
● Take a vacation whenever you want to, not when you’re told you have to.
● Meeting and speaking with new people.
● Own your own business and run it the way YOU want to.
● Choose clients; who do you want to work with?
● Work within a creative industry.
What are your challenges and joys of freelance writing? Share